STRENGTHS and OPPORTUNITIESNovember 27, 2018 |
While it is easy to report on bad news, the fact is that persistent negativity breeds more negativity, which breeds complacency, which sinks us all. Yes, Connecticut is in a fiscal crisis, but our region is truly seeing a renaissance and we are working hard, together, to seize the opportunities:
- Electric Boat will be adding almost 2,000 jobs in our region alone, and combined with other advanced manufacturers in the state, 10,000 total jobs are expected to be added statewide in manufacturing over the next 10 years.
- These manufacturers will, in turn, be increasing their buying from local suppliers.
- Electric Boat has pledged to double the $250 million it spends on the CT supply chain.
- Windfarm development is an emerging opportunity which we are excited to support.
- New, cool housing is being built throughout the region to better suit a younger workforce AND retirees who want to stay here.
- The arts are burgeoning – just look at the Garde Arts, the Hygienic, Spark Makerspace, the Shaboo Stage in Willimantic, the O’Neill, the Flock Theatre at the Mitchell College Red Barn – just to name a few
- The rich natural resources of our region are being enriched and expanded: Uncas Leap in Norwich is a finalist for a Great Places in America award, the Thames River Heritage Park received the Best Historical Attraction award from CT Magazine, the Avalonia Land Conservancy has added over 400 acres in the Griswold/North Stonington/Preston area, Montville added 30 acres of land next to Camp Oakdale, the Southeastern CT Council of Governments is working on a regional bike trail study.
See the story below and follow the link to participate in the survey.
- Have you tried the zipline at Foxwoods? Or driven the karts at Supercharged at the Mohegan Sun? Gone to the Splashpad at the
- Dinosaur Place in Montville, which was rated the 4th best Splashpad in America by USA Today? So much to do!
Municipalities and partners are working together more than ever to make it easy to come here to live, work and play. Want help finding employees? Turn to the America’s Job Bank Business Services Unit and the EWIB’s Manufacturing Pipeline initiative. These can in effect become your recruitment arms. Want some help “selling” our region to potential employees? Take a look at the Concierge program, a partnership between CTNext, Thames River Innovation Place and the Chamber of Commerce of Eastern CT.
Our strength is our willingness to, together, roll up our sleeves and get to work.
Please take every opportunity to learn about all the good happening here, and to be part of the positive story!