Ledyard is a 40.5 square mile suburban community with an estimated population of 15,600. Ledyard was settled in 1653 and incorporated in 1836.
The settlement of Ledyard is characterized by abundant single-family housing, separated by numerous red maple swamps and rocky, rugged uplands. While much of the Town’s housing stock was built during the 1960’s through the 1980’s, numerous colonial period houses are found along narrow, winding roads. A number of well-preserved 18th century farmsteads have been listed on the National Register of Historic Places, as has the Gales Ferry Historic District, a 19th Century village located on the banks of the Thames River.
The northern half of the U.S. Submarine base is located in Ledyard. Major employers located within and near the community include Dow Chemical and Foxwoods Casino, but a majority of Ledyard’s working population commutes to businesses located in Norwich, New London and Groton.
Ledyard is located on the Thames River estuary in the southeastern part of the state, and is surrounded by the Towns of Preston, North Stonington, Stonington and Groton. Major roads are state Routes 12 (Military Highway), 117, and 214.
Travel time to Bradley International Airport is approximately one hour.