Named in 1724 for the stony character of the hilly countryside, North Stonington was incorporated in 1807. Farms, mills, tanneries, iron works and cottage weaving contributed to a prosperous and renowned mercantile center in the 1800s. Changing times have left dairy farming the principal industry. North Stonington includes the settlements of Clarks Falls, Laurel Glen, Pendleton Hill, Ashwillet and the village of North Stonington, formerly known as “Milltown," and now listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Through the hustle and bustle of everyday life, North Stonington still holds onto its small-town-America charm. Every year in early July, farmers and non-farmers alike gather for the North Stonington Agricultural Fair, the first major state fair of the season in Connecticut. The fair brings the long-lost, down-home, country feeling to life.
This popular four-day event draws people from all over New England. Its top features include a cooking contest, judging of crops and livestock, as well as the traditional oxen, horse and tractor pulls.
The town has a long history as a rural farming community. Many residents make their living off the land just as their ancestors did less than 20 years after the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth, Massachusetts.
Many people like to ride along Route 49. This beautiful country road meanders historic houses, stone walls, pastures and magnificent views. The fields along the road were encampments during the Revolutionary War.